Posts Tagged ‘pet’

Poisons and Toxins

Your pet has just ingested something toxic. What do you do?

First, take a deep breath. Stay calm, the more composed you are, the sooner you can seek the correct medical attention.

Then, take the following steps:

eating poison

  1. Check to make sure your pet is breathing normally and acting fine otherwise and remove your pet from the area.
  2. Make sure no other pets or children are exposed to the area, and safely remove any poisonous material.
  3. Collect a sample of the material, along with the packaging, or container. The information on the pack can be vital in the treatment of your pet.
  4. Don’t give your dog any milk, food, salt, oil, or any other home remedies. This can lead to complications.
  5. Never induce vomiting without talking to your vet—you may cause further problems by doing so.
  6. Get help. Program your vet’s phone number into your phone, as well as the Animal Emergency Hospital number.

Remember your pet’s prognosis is always better when treatment is sought immediately, so don’t wait to see if symptoms develop before seeking help by calling your vet or us on 02) 6288 4944. There is only a small opportunity to remove the poison from your pet before it is absorbed so don’t delay.

Prevent Pet Poisoning in your home

Prevention is better than cure, and by taking a few simple precautions you can prevent your pet from getting poisoned.

In the Living Room

  • Make sure any pot plants or cut flowers are not poisonous. Take especial care with bouquets of flowers as they often contain Lilies, which are highly poisonous to cats. • Avoid the use of aerosols and heavily fragranced products around caged birds.
  • Make sure any home fragrance products such as pot-pourri, plug in diffusers and oil burners are well out of reach of pets.
  • Make sure ashtrays, cigarettes and nicotine replacement products are kept out of reach of pets.

In the Kitchen

  • Make sure foods poisonous to pets are kept out of reach these include sugar free gum, grapes, chocolate, onions and many more. For a more complete list check out our top ten kitchen toxins. Also avoid leaving fatty foods out as these can cause pancreatitis if eaten.
  • Avoid access to garbage bins and compost heaps as these can contain many toxins such as coffee grounds, spoilt food and cooked bones, which can cause serious problems for pets.
  • Make sure alcohol is also kept out of reach.

In the Bathroom

  • Keep all medications vitamins and supplements locked up in secure cupboards—don’t leave them on bench tops or plastic containers, which are easily chewed through.
  • Never use any human medications on your pets without first checking with your vet that it is safe to do so. Many common medications such as Paracetamol are toxic to pets.
  • Store your pets medication separately from your own, it has been known for humans to accidentally take pet medications and visa versa. Always check the label to make sure your are using the correct dose and medication before giving it.
  • Keep pets away from cleaning products. When cleaning any room with detergents and disinfectants make sure to shut your pet out of the room until the product has dried. Cats are often attracted to bleach and other cleaners and can suffer serious problems after licking at cleaning products.
  • Keep your toilet lid closed, it is not uncommon for a dog or cat to drink from the toilet bowl given half a chance and this can lead to nasty consequences especially if you use automatic toilet bowl treatments.

In the Laundry/Garage

  • Keep pest poisons out of reach of pets. Check all products to see if they are toxic to your pet and know what to do if any product is ingested. Where possible choose products that are not toxic to your pet Do not use insecticides without knowing the toxic effects of the product. Read the label carefully and make sure your pet is locked away when using sprays etc. Never use dog products on cats or visa versa without check with your vet first.
  • Keep batteries out of reach, if chewed or swallowed these can cause serious harm and dogs seem to like chewing them.
  • Keep glues out of reach—dogs love to chew on the bottles and these can cause serious damage by poisoning or causing blockages in the gut.
  • Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) products are extremely toxic. Choose propylene glycol products as they are safer. If you spill any antifreeze on a driveway, clean it up immediately or dilute it with several litres of water.
  • Keep all automotive products—like windshield cleaner fluid, engine oil—away from pets, and immediately clean up any spills.
  • Dogs like to eat some fertilizers such as blood and bone and Dynamic Lifter. These can cause serious problems if ingested in reasonable quantities, so keep bags tightly sealed and use products according to label instructions.
  • Grub or snail killers—use safer alternatives such as Multigard as most snail killers are extremely toxic to pets. Avoid them if possible.
  • Insecticides used outside the house may contain organophosphates or carbamates and these can be very dangerous if ingested in larger concentrations.
  • Keep pets off lawns until herbicides are dry. Once absorbed by the plant leaf products such as round up are no longer toxic to your pet.

In the Garden

  • Make sure that plants in the area your pet has access to are not poisonous. Check out our top 11 toxic plants to help you with this or go online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com
  • If placing pest poisons in the garden pest traps to place the poison inside as this avoids transference of poison by the pest to areas your pet can access.
  • Make sure to remove ay mushrooms that sprout up as these can be highly toxic.

Source: Pet Poison Helpline, petpoisonhelpline.com

Senior Care

Arthritis

Arthritis can affect dogs and cats of any age but is most common in pets over 7 years of age. In dogs predisposing causes include being overweight, genetic causes such as hip dysplasia and repetitive high impact exercise such as leaping up to catch balls and Frisbees. In cats being overweight, injuries and to a lesser extend genetics play a role.

Dogs

So how do you know your dog has arthritis? Signs can be variable depending on which joint is affected.

  • Initially your dog may simply stretch a lot more on rising after rest, or have a bit more difficulty getting into the car.
  • He may tire more easily on walks or start using both back legs together when running.
  • You may also note a loss of muscle mass in the affected leg.

Eventually though you see lameness with the joint becoming so painful your dog no longer puts all his weight on the leg. Arthritis is a chronic painful condition but most dogs wont yelp or show obvious signs of pain, its up to you to notice and get them help.

Dog

Cats

Cat Cats are a lot more difficult to see signs, as they are not usually highly energetic especially as they get older, so signs are a lot subtler.

  • Initially you may notice they are a little less certain when jumping up, or they no longer get up as high.
  • Your cat’s coat may also become less glossy as she starts having trouble with grooming.
  • Another sign maybe that she begins to miss the litter tray when urinating or defeacating or she starts to avoid human contact.
  • Sometimes all you see is that your cat sleeps more or becomes more restless and sleeps less.

So what can you do if your pet has arthritis?

Firstly make sure they are not overweight as this simply adds to the wear and tear of joints. There are some steps you can take to help your pet lose weight, call the veterinary hospital to discuss what options could work for your pet.

Secondly make sure you provide warm supportive bedding. Dogs often prefer a firm surface to assist them with getting up. A trampoline bed or a wooden packing palette with carpet or a thin foam mattress can make ideal beds. For cats they often like to snuggle, so a bed with sides is ideal but make sure the entrance is not too high so your cat can gain easy access. Heating pads are also available to add extra comfort.

Early on in the disease diets such as Hills j/d or Royal Canin Mobility Support can help get your pet back to normal. Food additives such as Joint Guard, Pernaease and many others, offer joint support through addition of glucosamine and natural anti-inflammatories.

However, medication often becomes necessary to relieve your pet’s pain and get them back to their spry selves. There are many options.

For more severe cases using Cartrophen Injections or Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatories maybe necessary to maintain your pet’s quality of life. When used correctly and with medical supervision these medications carry minimal risks and provide great relief from the chronic pain of arthritis.

Contact us at Weston Creek Veterinary Hospital for further information if you think your pet has arthritis or you’d like to discuss treatment options for arthritis. We are here to help you and your pet.

ASAVA Accredited Veterinary Hospital