First aid kit for your pets
To make up a first aid kit for your pet is quite easy.
Get a water proof bag large enough to hold the following supplies:
- Sterile wound dressing,
- gauze bandage,
- medical tape,
- thermometer andlubricant such as KY Jelly,
- small syringe or eye dropper,
- chlorhexidine disinfectant in a small bottle (with instructions on how to dilute it for use),
- plastic non latex gloves,
- ophthalmic saline solution,
- antiseptic wound ointment, and
- a small bottle or bag containing a few washing soda crystals.
Additionally have a ruler or other rigid material for a splint and a blanket large enough to cover your pet and a soft nylon rope to fashion a muzzle in an emergency.
Optional Extras include tick remover, and instant cold pack.
Once you have gathered you supplies place them in your waterproof bag and add a card with your vets and the Animal Emergency Centres number on it.
Your first aid kit is now ready